Saturday, June 11, 2011

Work is hard, and tiring, and I love it right now! Learning while getting paid is great, and the best thing is that -- in this career, you never stop learning.

I had a patient last week, a sweet sweet lady who was my Mother's age.  I cared for her for three days straight. Her procedures, tests, requests became all routine to me. (ps working 3 days straight isn't as bad as some may think!) On my third day with her, I was lucky to discharge her and finally send her home.  I told her that I was so excited that she was one of my first patients, I thanked her for always letting me know I was doing okay, and that I won't ever forget what kind of patience she had with me while I was learning the ropes in her patient room.  I sent her home with the request that I didnt wanna see her again as a patient, but to come back to let us know how good she was doing. 

Yesterday I came into work and found out she passed away on Wednesday morning, and my heart hurt.  The son called and asked for me to make sure I knew that she passed away peacefully in her  home, with her family around. 

My heart hurt.

There's a first for everything, and that was one of them. 

No comments: